July 2, 2009

Death, Life and Change

Stop all the clocks, cut off the telephone,
Prevent the dog from barking with a juicy bone,
Silence the pianos and with muffled drum
Bring out the coffin, let the mourners come.

Let aeroplanes circle moaning overhead
Scribbling on the sky the message He Is Dead,
Put crepe bows round the white necks of the public doves,
Let the traffic policemen wear black cotton gloves.

He was my North, my South, my East and West,
My working week and my Sunday rest,
My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;
I thought that love would last for ever: I was wrong.

The stars are not wanted now: put out every one;
Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun;
Pour away the ocean and sweep up the wood.
For nothing now can ever come to any good.

-W.H. Auden


As much as I would like to take yesterday and erase it, it would do no good. With life comes death. With death comes rebirth. It is not good or bad, it is just change. We can weep for our loss of those we love and rejoice in the memories of those who touched our lives. At 10pm on June 30th, Ethan Iverson, Age 8 passed away. He had been fighting cancer for a year. It is tragic when anyone passes, especially when it is one so young. We can all have faith that he is in a place without pain where he can just be a kid again. He was loved in life and will be missed.


Out of the ashes of this loss comes an amazing sense of community and mutual love. I watched dozens of police officers go by all morning long and well into the afternoon to pay their respects to the family. I watched many families pull together to provide support to the Iverson Family. Our local community and business owners are fantastic. Never before have I seen so many come together in such a short time for a common cause. Thank you to each and every individual who showed up, participated in, donated and supported all of the fundraisers. You all deserve a standing ovation.



I can also hope that the love and gratitude showed towards our children will continue. There was an atmosphere of clinging to our healthy children and thanking God that we have them. Spending more time with our families, thankful just to be with them. As sad as it is that it takes a situation like this one to bring out this kind of love, I have faith that it will continue.



Please take time today to show your love and appreciation to each other. I know that I say it a lot, because it needs to be said. Don't wait until it is too late... love one another unabashedly, life is too short for regrets.



Let me come in where you are weeping, friend,
and let me take your hand.
I, who have known a sorry such as yours,
can understand.
Let me come in-I would be very still
beside you in your grief.
I would not bid you cease your weeping, Friend;
tears bring relief.
Let me come in-I would only breathe a prayer,
and hold your hand.
For I have known a sorrow such as yours,
and understand.
-Grace Noll Crowell



Have a Blessed Day,

Brandy Deming

No comments:

Post a Comment