July 1, 2009

Moderation in Moderation

There are people who strictly deprive themselves of each and every eatable, drinkable and smokable which has in any way acquired a shady reputation. They pay this price for health. And health is all they get for it. How strange it is. It is like paying out your whole fortune for a cow that has gone dry.
-Mark Twain


In general we all know what is good for us and what is bad for us. However, there are still times when I watch the news and have a 'I didn't know that was bad for me.' moment. There are those who enjoy a raw-organic-locally-grown diet, and for those who enjoy it, I give you massive props and an applause. There are the rest of us who enjoy sugar, caffeine, fried foods and the occasional pastry.


I am guilty of enjoying lots of things that aren't exactly the best for me. I recall when I first had my lifestyle change standing in Albertsons, looking at this glorious cream puff in their bakery case. I stared, and stared, and stared. I really, really wanted to eat it, I also really, really, really didn't want to eat it. I ended up not getting it. Does that mean I never ate a cream puff again? Heck no way. I make them. Whole grain, splenda to sweeten the cream with dark chocolate drizzled on top. it's 20% of the calories that was in the Albertsons cream puff and has some good for me stuff in it too.


Depriving ourselves of things we truly enjoy, makes us enjoy life less. I am not talking about things that we are addicted to (smoking, drinking, drugs, caffeine, fat, sugar, etc), I am talking about things that we enjoy that we don't allow ourselves to have. I have found lots of substitutions for things I really like. Oven fried chicken instead of pan fried chicken; Olive oil seasoned and baked potato wedges instead of french fries, turkey dogs, turkey brats, turkey bacon. But with all this substitution I still miss the 'real' thing. So on occasion, when I have done something really good, I reward myself... Breakfast with fried hash browns, pork bacon, fried eggs and regular pancakes (oh, my!) or Steak and a Baked Potato (with extra butter).


So don't let yourself miss out on all of lives pleasures. Find alternate ways to enjoy what you like. Indulge on occasion (mind your portions!). And above all, find a balance of happy and healthy.



Have a Blessed Day,


Brandy Deming

CelticBlessings4U@Gmail.com
http://www.womenswealthandwellness.com/celticblessings
http://www.twitter.com/brandysbiz

No comments:

Post a Comment