June 17, 2009

Appreciating Yourself

"Keeping your body healthy is an expression of gratitude to the whole cosmos - the trees, the clouds, everything."

-Thich Nhat Hanh

Let me tell you a story about myself... Last year there were many changes, this is one of them. I used to walk away from every argument I got into, be it with family or friends or whatever. I wouldn't say anything I'd walk away and be done with it. That is what everyone else saw. I would actually punish myself with McDonalds Abuse. No kidding, it is funny, but not a joke. I would go order massive McDonalds with extra mayo and cheese and bacon on top. And eat it, eat it all. I knew it was bad for me and I KNEW it would make me feel worse when I was done, but I did it anyways. I didn't even realize I was doing this until a day I was upset with my partner and immediatly left the house and ordered two egg mcmuffins, extra mayo packets please. Uh, what a way to 'solve' a problem. By eating it away. And I'm not the only one...

Lots of us eat away our pain. Food is always there. Food will never say no. Food will never leave us in the middle of the night (no matter how much we ask). And above all we use food as love. We give our kids food as rewards for good behavior, we award ourselves food for doing the right thing. Lots of this food = good goes around and not all of it's bad. What we need to work on is how to appreciate ourselves. How many times have you seen something you really wanted or had something you really wanted to do? I do. I have lots on my bucket list. Instead of letting that list idle around and do nothing about it. Pick one. Price it out. $200 or $2000. Get the plan in your head for how you are going to do it. Then instead of awarding yourself with a $50 meal out. Choose a healthier meal in and put the difference in an account for your big reward. Instead of buying that $1.50 candy bar... add it to your account... you'll feel better in the long run.

The world and your health will thank you for changing a food habit to an award habit. New experiences and less garbage. Remember that your health is the foundation for a happy life. It's not that without health you cant be happy, it just a firmer foundation.

Team Note: Send a card to someone today that may be struggling with their weight or health. They will appreciate the extra support.

Have a Blessed Day,

Brandy Deming

CelticBlessings4U@Gmail.com

http://www.sendoutcards.com/celticblessings

No comments:

Post a Comment